Thread: Choices ...
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #1107
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
But if you didn't know that, I assume that you don't listen to jazz, funk or fusion much, so you probably don't care about that.
Just had to note that listening to and knowing about/knowing names are a bit different Like tsa said, there can be many who listen to a lot of something, but don't necessarily become connoisseurs. Personally I think that I listen to a lot of jazz, but when it comes to names (something which I'm always horrible at), I notice that mainly I only know the classics (Davis, Coltrane, Monk..) - even if I do also listen to contemporary jazz too. Well, there is the occasional contemporary like David Murray (who I assume is also amongst the most-known names of living players) and Ambrose Akinmusire (relatively newcomer).

Or actually, now that I think about it, maybe it's more a matter of, umm, emphasis inside the genre (or rather time periods)? And also when a legendary player dies, they get much more legendary... Bah, I'm getting off the tracks now

Anyways, sorry to ramble, do proceed (I've no opinion on muppets, almost never seen any) Oh and thanks for the name, I'll have to check out his music