View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Phaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I really could care less about Steam DRM. People do realize devs had gotten more money when released on Steam than the other way around? It creates a better economy for PC Gaming.
That applies to digital distribution in general, Steam just happens to be largest dd channel out there - which is a direct result of years of forcing PC gamers to install this client by bundling it with the vast majority of big budget releases, starting with Half-life 2.
I vastly prefer Gamersgate or Impulse, which don't make me install and run some bloatware at all times for games I purchased to launch. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where even titles bought via Gamersgate force you to install Steam anyway.

I'm perfectly fine with Deponia appearing on Steam for those who want it, I really am, but if that means the English boxed release will utilize Steam DRM just like The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, I'm not sure I should support this petition. I want to be able to be given a chance to obtain a DRM-free version.

PC gaming has always been about choice, right now, I can't shake the feeling Valve are turning it into a closed platform where they control everything.