View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Oscar
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
when i read the Aggie Awards and found that Book of Unwritten Tales is almost mentoned pretty much every category i thought (Just My Opinion) that it doesnt worth ALL that praising ,yeaah it its a big production Adventure with all the elements of a great game Animation,Voiceovers and graphics ....etc ,..but i thought (Again just my opinion) there are some others indies with low production ;like:-
to the moon,Gemini Rue even the remake of VOB are much much more worthy,
anyways i will not get into this topic as it needs a special thread to dicuss it FAIRLY...
I agree with you on BOUT, but to me Gemini Rue was just as average and To The Moon was just plain bad. They aren't neglected at all - overrated if anything.

Looking back on 2011, Portal 2 and LA Noire probably were the best games of the year. But my other favourite games of 2011 were totally neglected in the aggies, which isn't surprising. Blue Madonna, LHOD and Baron Wittard aren't attention grabbers, you can't easily categorize them. They don't have exciting topics like a futuristic thriller about global warming, or comedic journey through fantasy realms, or gritty Blade Runner-esque cyberpunk adventure. Those are the topics that win awards. I think that's why something like the very amateurish Alpha Polaris got much more attention in the aggies than those three games. An adventure set in the arctic with bears advertises itself, a part-time detective in a rural swedish town doesn't.

It surprised me that the incredibly average and tedious Black Mirror 3 got so many nominations and votes, but then I considered it was made by a well established developer with a big publisher behind it. It would be interesting to see with the readers' choice award how many people have played the games on the list compared with how many votes they got. I suspect BM3 got so much attention simply because so many people played it.

Last edited by Oscar; 02-18-2012 at 04:40 PM.