Thread: Dear Esther
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #101
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
In this way it follows the tradition of games like The Path, and I hope this tradition continues to develop.
I was really impressed by The Path (even though I expected more), but Dear Esther is in no way a development of its tradition but actually a huge step back compared to what The Path offered. And so was ToT's Fatale sadly.

Similarly, I'd say TRAUMA is a very emotional, worthwhile and moody adventure/story of a person's recovery and much better thought out than any of the mention above. But it's still too limited in the player participation it offers to fully satisfy the medium's potential.

Overall, The Dark Eye and Bad Day of the Midway in the 90s have so far reached the top of what puzzle-free interactive experiences have achieved in terms of player involvement in a narrative. And yet those 2 are also still pretty simple - the concepts their authors have come up with could have been pushed much further by now.

So in general, while games are progressing rapidly in the art of 3D location building, we're regressing terribly in terms of designing the player's experiences within those. In DE seems like 3D has become an excuse to not put any interaction at all even.