View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #106
DomStLeger
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Sorry dude-its been one of those days. But you caught my drift. That's why its dangerous to rely on crowd sourced presales for your entire budget (Im assuming its the full budget, for the large amount and small timeframe).

Sure getting donations for something like music, voice overs, etc. isn't a bad thing. But covering your entire budget with presales is a very VERY risky move.

But at least they know they are going to be eating for 8 months-something not many indies can say!

And if their budget continues to grow, they may be tempted to spend on unessential things - things that aren't going to increase sales, because the financing is there,and they are almost 'obliged' to use it.
I'm not sure I see how its risky? Of all the ways to raise funds this is very low risk; if they don't deliver, the people who have pledged really have no recourse. And actually they can deliver ANYTHING really to fulfil the pledge as the details are so vague. Plus any game they sell is pure profit (minus marketing and distribution costs; though even that could come from the main fund)

Its such a great way for fans to contribute to a trusted developer. I've pledged; I don't even care if they don't deliver something I'll enjoy, I just want to support this project. I think the idea that developers can get micro-investments in this way and not be beholden to big publishers is a great thing for creative industries and could be revolutionary for both niche parts of the market and just plain old creativity driven development. Its never going to be the way to make so-called-AAA titles, but I think its great for smaller scale development, and is not too disimilar to the MineCraft et al approach. Very exciting!
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!