View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
BlueMeeple

Default Dies Irae in (adventure) game music

Hello! I hope this doesn't count as spam or as a try to get more views to my videos but I got obsessed by "Dies Irae" a while ago and now I need to share it's beauty.

Many of you might know that "Dies Irae" is one of the oldest known european melodies, composed somewhere in the 13th century. It's used by many other composers often to represent death or middle age or ancient times etc. While its use in classical music and in movies are quite well researched and documented, I couldn't find any list of it's use in video games.

So I started my own. Check this video to see what I've gathered so far. And because YouTube says it's blocked in some countries (most likely because I included an excerpt from The Shining in it) could you please tell me does the video work in your country?

I know, I started this same thread in a couple of other forums (mostly VGM-forums) but I still posted this here because:

1) two of the games I found are adventure games
2) I think "adventure games" are an 'intellectual' genre that could more likely to include "Dies Irae" in their score
3) you here have played more 'obscure' games than most guys in VGM-forums
4) my knowledge of adventure games limits to LucasArts classics + few others

So if you know more games (doesn't need to be adventure games, of course) please let me know. Keep also in mind that I seek for the old 13th century "Dies Irae", not the ones in Mozart's, Verdi's etc. Requiems which are also used in many games, for example the beginning of Still Life.

====================================
Games already on the list (and on the video)
====================================

Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis (at 03:15)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (at 04:33)
Gauntlet Legends (at 04:59)
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (at 05:43)
Final Fantasy IX (at 06:50)
Heroes of Might and Magic 5 (at 07:56)
Sam and Max, Season 2 (at 09:11)

Dante's Inferno (not on the video I made)

Thanks for your help in advance!

- BlueMeeple -