View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
ADan
overall swell guy

Hiya,

I just wrote a whole sermon about Machinarium but unfortunately it got chopped up when I went advanced.

Here I go again:

If I were to introduce the AG genre so someone I'd probably go for Machinarium by Amanita Design.

It can only be described as utterly charming.

It is not exactly a fantasy setting (or rather not at all) but it has a certain poetic quality to it and the main character (a little mute robot (all characters are essentially mute in this game) might appeal to motherly or fatherly instincts in the player after only a short while into the game.
The reaction of the robot to an unachievable command is so cute it really makes you want to cuddle the little guy.
If you don't get to love the little bugger after ten minutes into the game you must've been born without a heart.

All interaction that in any "normal" game would be verbal is done by little stick figure stories in speech or thought bubbles. Lovely concept that.

The gameplay is quite fair and pretty straightforward, i.e. the task at hand is always relatively clear and the items you'd need are never far away, often in the same room or screen, without the whole experience being too easy.
I'd say it's the least frustrating game I've ever played.

To cut the story short (once again): Check it out on this site and/or look for Youtube footage. You'll see what I'm talking about.

That would be my suggestion for an introduction to the genre.

Cheers, Dan.

Last edited by ADan; 02-08-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: "least" not "last" frustrating. Tiny yet huge difference.