View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Kurufinwe

Wait a minute... You're not playing with ScummVM, are you? Because then, you could probably use ScummVM's debug mode to get you the items you need. Otherwise, I'm afraid that's it.

I think all the QfG games have some dead-ends. At least I know #2 and #4 do. But they're not like King's Quest: they're not actively trying to trick you into a dead-end. But they're not making sure to eliminate all dead ends either. By saving regularly, having a separate save at the beginning of each day, and using some common sense*, you should be able to avoid the kind of situation you're now in.

* I really don't want to sound like a prick, and believe me I know how it feels to lose hours of progress in a game, but when a game has something like 10 characters, and one of them refuses to talk to you, you should know that you've done something wrong and restore immediately... At least back then, it was obvious to everyone, and I don't think the designers were trying to trick anyone into a dead end.

QfG2 definitely has some similar dead-ends. If you offend a character named Aziza, she'll kick you out of her home and I'm pretty sure that's going to be problem down the road. Or you can walk into the desert and end up with not enough water to get back to the city. Maybe you can drop essential items, but I'm not sure. (The remake might have eliminated some dead-ends.) Once again, with regular saves, daily check points and common sense, you should be OK. But there definitely are dead ends here and there if you're not careful.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]