View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #4018
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Let Me In – 3 / 5

It's 95% identical to Let the Right One In - if you don't count the English translation and use of different actors -, yet it's 100% inferior. And I don't even really get why that is...
They had the perfect cast. The second I found out about this remake and before I knew who they'd cast, I'd said ChloĆ« Grace Moretz (based on Kick-Ass) and Kodi Smit-McPhee (based on The Road) would be perfect – the right age, the right *feel* and enough talent. Imagine my surprise when I read they'd both been cast, with Elias Koteas and Richard Jenkins in it as well. I've rarely been so intrigued by the casting choices for a remake. This actually looked promising.
Now that I've seen it, I don't know how they could make this both so close to the original yet so far from it in terms of quality. Not that it's bad – you can’t really go wrong with the original book and movie script – it's just inferior. It's like director Matt Reeves has totally missed the dark undertone and the actual point of the movie. Although, to be honest, I should've seen that coming when they changed the original title to "Let Me In". That simply misses the double layer of the original title in favour of an actual quote. It misses the part of 'Let the Right One In' that leaves a bad taste in your mouth during the ending credits.
For lack of a better comparison: it's like renaming Bin-jip (literally "Empty House") to 3-Iron. Yes, the title has something to do with the movie, but it also misses the point entirely. I prefer when titles go more for meaning and less for the "most frequently appearing object or quote". And titles are important!