Adventure Forums - View Single Post - Dear Esther
Thread: Dear Esther
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #74
ozzie

Quote:
The first part was pointless. The is a reason why we string two words together to make a specific term. Interactive Media == Interactive Medium. Not Toasters or washing machines. Games are not an equivalent to a DVD Menu. Two destinct separate uses. They are interactive to a point where you can make a very arbretary form of a game, but its usually never used to make a game.
okay, fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
What you're saying is that 'reading a restaurant menu' is just like reading a 'scifi steampunk novel'. They are two completely different things.
I did not say that! Like I specifically stated, a letter from a relative is not literature! Security camera footage doesn't make a movie! How can you then say that I'd say something like this???? Did you even read what I wrote?

Quote:
A game is formed up with win/lose and goals/rules. Dear Ether has no win/lose conditions, nor does it have any goals/rules that break out of the realm of Interactive Art.
It's interesting that you started out in this thread stating reasons why Dear Esther is a game. What changed your mind?
BTW, it's possible to lose Dear Esther. Jump from a cliff. Swim out into the ocean. Yeah, these are rather leftovers from conventional games, but it's not like they aren't there. And your goal is to get to the end. There is a end. You know you reached it when a cutscene plays. And you know how to reach it by following the path.

Quote:
Well isn't it obvious since Adventure games was the product of choose-your-own-adventures? Dear Esther isn't a choose your own adventure.
It isn't, right. But since, you know, Dear Esther is a fully realized 3D world, with physics, narrations, sounds and animations that respond to your actions, I'd say there's more to it than some text and choices. It has no choices, but since when are choices like a higher form of interactivity anyway?

Quote:
You don't get out much? Generally seen as an 'interactive piece'. Artists nowadays and for decades experiment with interaction from the viewer with their artistic scene/piece. Its to provoke an idea, feeling, perspective. Art isn't specifically defined to one idea, like Dear Esther. Interactive Art. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_art
Ah, you meant art installations. I understood something like interactive paintings? Now it makes sense.

Lots of edits on this one! From feeling grumpy to not so grumpy anymore!

Last edited by ozzie; 01-26-2012 at 02:04 PM.