View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
Intense Degree
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The original game had a classic opening sequence that is ruined in this directors cut of the game. Instead of starting with a birds eye flight over Paris and meeting George we start the game controlling Nico on a investigation of a murder by Mime.

Although it is nice getting more of a back story on Nico, it kinda ruins the flow of the story for me. Nico was a mysterious sassy journalist that you slowly get to know in the first game, building up the relationship between her and George. The story that starts this game ends up going nowhere and fizzles out as the game switches to the original George controlled game. It seems like a pointless exercise that doesn't add a lot to the plot.
I think that sums up my view of the directors cut pretty exactly.

The opening to the original was essentially perfect [/subjective opinion] and even the version of it they have after the tacked on Nico business does not properly reflect it.

I really don't think the Nico part adds anything to the story and I agree that it splutters and conks out. After this, George at the Cafe feels like the beginning of another game (which it is!) and we lose the slowly getting to know Nico part.

Having said that, the Nico bit is interesting enough to play through if you have already played the original, however, I think it takes away from the original if you are on a first playthrough.