Thread: Dear Esther
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #44
Shuyin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter254 View Post
It is the essence that separates gaming from film and literature. The player's choices and actions, however forced, is the medium by which the game progresses; this is interaction.
The essence that separates gaming from other mediums, is interactivity by way of gameplay.
The interaction in Dear Esther is no diffrerent than the interaction i have with a movie via my DVD player or with a book. Extrapolating on the above, the conclusion is that every movie/book i'm playing/reading is a videogame!?! It certainly fits your description: the story in a book progresses linearily when i turn the page(user input). Be right back, i'm going to play Stanislaw Lem's The Cyberiad

I get what you're saying. The simple press of a button by the user, qualifies as an interaction. But interactivity in the context of games should be active (via gameplay as i said), not passive (press a button to continue story is in no way different than turn page to continue story).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter254 View Post
As for Dear Esther, I haven't played the original mod, but I will say that the trailer has piqued my interest. From what I can tell, it seems to have generated quite a lot of coverage--enough to make me think that the majority of those who have handled it have had a positive reaction. I can't know that for sure, but it does look like it'll make a dent in the community. The YouTube trailer already has 100,000+ views. Quite a lot for a non-mainstream, artsy-fartsy mod.
If you don't mind the lack of interactivity/gameplay and you don't mind paying for it, try it. In the mod, IIRC there was a random aspect of when the voiceovers appeared so there was less coherency to the story. Don't know if it'll be the same or not in the game, but if it is there won't be much of a story either. Just a heads up