View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #92
Trunkyo
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I'm actually into Act III right now, had to play past the CD swap since I'll be a bit busy this week with certain festivities.

Yes, zobraks, Lewton finding out about the Count's missing companion is what was I referring to earlier (I skipped this entirely during the current playthrough since I knew Lewton wouldn't make much headway investigating this new mystery until Act II). Also, depending on the order of the player's actions in Act I, Lewton can obtain the grappling hook in two different ways.

Some more quotes from Act I that made me chuckle:

Mankin: Say, I do like your hard-boiled dialogue. How long do you boil it?
Lewton: About twelve minutes from when the water begins to bubble.

Lewton (wondering if Sapphire had lied to him): Lies flow like water, but the truth burns. Hmm, that's not a bad line. I'd better write that down.

Commander Vimes is portrayed very differently than in the Discworld novels; the normally upstanding but unambitious former captain of the Watch was changed to fit the conniving, corrupt police official type sometimes seen in noir films. I felt this radical change in characterization was a bit jarring, so I wonder how Terry Pratchett felt about this! (Trivia: Vimes later married Lady Sybil Ramkin, the swamp dragon breeder seen in the first Discworld game.)

Lewton mentions the city burning down during the last visit by a foreigner; this is a reference to the events in The Colour of Magic. The inclusion of Two Conkers in DN is definitely a nod to Twoflower, the Discworld's first tourist, also from the Agatean Empire. Malaclypse mentions "inn-sewer-ants" in Act II, which of course is another reference to Twoflower, who worked as an "inn-sewer-ants" clerk.

Say, did anyone else notice the two paintings above Nobby at Pseudopolis Yard? Do you recognize them?