Thread: Dear Esther
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
Shuyin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Good job insulting the brilliance of the original mod.
What exactly is so brilliant about a non-interactive 'game'?
A poem recited while you walk through a landscape is more an experience but less a game. You do know that the medium's main trait (and what separates it from cinema, literature etc) is interactivity?

Quote:
And people on kotaku said the graphics of the game looked nothing special. I guess not enough bump map or blooms.
The graphics actually look very nice, especially the artstyle. From a technical pov however, i would tend to agree to Kotaku...low-poly, kind of low-res textures. Where i disagree with Kotaku is that not all games need to look like Battlefield 3 or Crysis. As long as the graphics fit the game (from an artistic pov) all is well.

Quote:
Though I have to say this game can be considered an adventure. Its no interactive movie. You can freely explore the area, triggering narrative dialogue and so on. Its an amazing experience.
You seem confused. It's not an interactive movie but an adventure game because you can explore the area? Really, now... We must have very different views over interactivity and what adventure games are then, because i comepletely disagree with you. Dear Esther is definitely not a game. Just because it is sold to you as a game, doesn't mean it is one.