View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Shadows of the Damned

Another game I picked up on the cheap just after Xmas.

This is a 3rd person action horror game by Suda51 and Shinji Mikami. As you would expect from the people that brought you Killer 7 and No More Heroes, this is a game that was well respected but nobody bought.

You are Garcia "Fu*king" Hotspur, Demon Hunter. After finding you girlfriend (Paula) dead in your apartment her soul is trapped by Fleming (Pervert Lord of the Demons) and taken to hell.

You jump in after her and must fight your way through 5 levels of hell fighting some strange ass demons on the way with only a disembodied British skull (Johnson) for company.

Johnson also acts as your weapons in the game as he shifts into "The Boner" (upgradable to the Hot Boner and "BIG BONER", "The Skullfest 9000 and various other guns during the course of the game.

As you might have guessed from the character names this game is VERY into penis jokes and with a large helping of innuendo and nakedness thrown in with you horror tropes.

There is a very strange relationship between Garcia and Johnson that more or less makes this game as good as it is. Without their hilarious banter and the absurd situations you find yourself in (fighting giant horse bosses who fart out bubbles of darkness at you , with the appropriate *Phuuurp* noses ) this game would have been half the fun it was.

The shooting mechanics are fairly standard fair for these type of game, It's not the most inventive action in the world, but it is suitable bloody and effective for it's setting. However the game structure is pretty retro with mini bosses and end of level bosses like some of the games of yore.The graphics are suitable for the setting but the camera is completely pants and you will end up getting swiped by enemies you didn't see coming.

The music and sound work really pulls up the level of the design if the game. The little ditties on the loading screens, the sound effects and soundtrack are all fantastic.

So overall it is a slightly retro action game with a bonkers plot and a lot of innuendo that is great fun to play if you like that sort of thing.

I loved it.

4/5