View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #75
diego

Some more general impressions so far and view on Act 1:

I've somehow always liked to have those "alternative" comments on the same thing, like you get one description with the left and something different with the right click, since in this case "Use" or double-left click is often giving comments on things as is right clicking. I'm finding this a neat feature to get more immersed in game world and ALSO - to understand the main character even better. Speaking of which, let me say one thing first - i wasn't actually quite impressed with Lewton's voice at beginning, because of somewhat "over the top" pronunciation. Before you all raise torches and pitchforks, let me add that once it grew on me, i thought it could hardly be much better. Why? Simply because its full of personality, something similar like with Sadwick's voice in TWW.

That is of course, also thanks to script writing, so both things combine to a greater character development, compared to, for instance somewhat "stiff" Howard Brooks in Secrets of Atlantis.

As for the story so far - i actually didn't like Malachite side quest at first, because it seemed like too much to go with main plot also getting more complicated, but like i said - the second time it was much easier to "catch" things, and i'm almost sure two stories will intersect each other later on? Count Überwald, on the other hand, is even pretty "stereotyped" great addition to "mystery". But i have a minor criticism here - he said i should inform him everything about the "Mundy" case, but later when i wanted to tell him about Mundy being killed he said he "wasn't interested in city's petty crimes".

Some other nags would be with the interface, like cumbersome calling for inventory and note-book when using mouse by clicking on Lewton, but as i said F2 and F3 resolve that. As for graphics, locations are indeed full of an atmosphere but 3D character models could have been slightly better, especially Lewton's, because i have a feeling some other minor characters are pretty good modeled.

I haven't succeeded in finding the quote i was looking for, but here're couple of others from Act 1:

- The warehouse was full of crates. I wasn't surprised.

- I don't take messages from dwarves named after cities.

- For some reason, there was a grappling iron on the floor near Malachite.

I couldn't have been more interested in it even it had "plot device" written across it in large letters.

and from the start of Act 2:

- It wasn't going to be a good day, I decided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneS View Post
However, I do have one problem with the game so far: it has no significant puzzles.
i agree with the sentiment there're aren't many puzzles to do in Act 1 apart from usual exploration and dialogue, but the first puzzle in Act 2 makes up for that. It's already obvious DN is dialogue-heavy game, which in this case is for the most part not a bad thing, but it's probably also a designer's choice to start slowly with the challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I'm very much looking forward to re-experiencing the unique twist DN has in store for us in later acts. I loved it. First-time players will be pleasantly surprised.
woohoo *brings popcorns* and now, when i think of it, i'm really not sure until where i've progressed the last time. I remember finding
Spoiler:
dwarf who crashed in river from the bridge
but i don't think i've progressed further than Act 2

Last edited by diego; 01-19-2012 at 10:17 AM.