View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #67
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Oh, I never got around to playing very far in this, but I still have the disc somewhere I think. Maybe I can catch up with the playthrough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datadog View Post
Ha ha - I saw that chart detailing the Discworld novels... that's what got me so confused about where to start in the first place. Harry Potter, this is not.

And thanks for the scroll, TimovieMan. Makes a lot more sense now.
The AV Club did an article on where to start with Discworld a couple of months ago. The four options they recommend are Mort (starts the Death series), Wyrd Sisters (starts the Witches series, if you ignore Equal Rites), Guards! Guards! (starts the City Watch series) and Small Gods (standalone). Those are all good options; Small Gods is probably the best of them.

Personally, I would divide the Discworld series by era, rather than by subject. You have the very early (farcical but not really funny, unserious) ones: 1-2, the early (funny, not-too-serious) ones: 3-12, the middle (funny and serious) ones: 13-24, and the late (serious, only occasionally funny) ones: 25-39. That's a very rough division, and there are some books that don't quite fit, but it gives you a general idea of the tone you can expect.