View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
diego

If every adventure game had the similar puzzle/story ratio there would no diversity at all. So, the extremes happen naturally, like "all puzzles no story" or an "interactive movie" and they have their audience.

But as Siddhi said - that still isn't telling us whether the game is actually GOOD. I personally prefer classic examples with puzzles serving the good story, but i can't say for sure i won't like some game which is "all story" or a puzzle-fest.

BUT - i must confess it feels recently like it's much easier for developers to come up with a story, than good puzzles, and good story + good puzzle design is more rare. Telltale is one of those examples with their movie licenses games, containing pretty straightforward puzzle design. That's reasonable though, since the audience had to be not only adventure but movies fans as well.

But, that's fine - story IS traditionally more important, and the genre isn't popular like it used to be so there is naturally less diversity but hopefully it's getting back on track.