View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #64
SweetDalilah
an angel of romance

Here are my impressions and comments so far:
(May contain minor spoilers, don't read if you haven't finished Act I)

There seemed to be a lack of puzzles in Act I, but that’s only because Lewton was preoccupied with questioning contacts and suspects. Also, it gave us more insight to the story. And I don’t really like puzzles anyway. But some other players like an equal amount of puzzles and talking to characters, so this might be a minus.

The graphics aren’t the best thing we’ve seen, and the animation of the characters is limited. But for the first time I don’t really care about graphics, because everything else about this game is so great. Most of the scenes are quite dark and moody, but what do you expect from a noir game? But nevertheless, there are some really nice locations, like the Überwald’s mansion Pseudopolis Yard, Café Ankh, Conservatory, or the Rhodan’s workshop (since I like art and sculptures so much ).

DN probably has one of the most extraordinary stories I have ever seen. Let’s start from the introduction. The introduction itself is quite unpredictable and purely amazing. Lewton wakes up dead, and then starts telling us all that has happened to him. So even though we know Lewton is dead (or undead in this case*) we still desperately want to know what happened. So Lewton just started working as a PI, and his first case is to find some rich girl’s missing lover Mundy. On his investigation he is approached by a troll Malachite, who orders him to find Therma (and you don't want to mess with trolls) He also finds out, that there is a series of mysterious murders going on in Ankh-Morpork. And on top of it all he needs to find a dwarf named Regin for Count von Überwald, Carlotta's father-in-law. All this could make any investigator’s head spin, but Lewton is determined to get to the bottom of all this, because, well he needs the money.

Somewhere in the middle of Act I, I got this gut feeling that these cases (no matter how different they seem) were going to cross paths soon enough, and looks like I was right. So as the things get more and more complicated and complex, the story becomes unpredictable, and we are left waiting, in anticipation, for what will happen next. The story, combined with magnificent dialogues and a great sense of humor, makes DN one of the best games I have played so far Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 252
Size:  2.2 KB Name:  love.gif
Views: 253
Size:  379 Bytes (and I’ve only finished the first act so far )

* There are 8 species of undead in Discworld: Banshees, Bogeymen, Ghouls, Ghosts, Mummies, Vampires, Werewolves, and Zombies

The various characters are the real charm of the game, of course .

Lewton is our main character. He is a true example of every film noir’s PI. He is the cynical and bitter private detective who has lost everything after his lover Ilsa left him, and was fired from the watch because of taking bribe, so he spent many years drinking in depression. He uses every opportunity he gets to tell “us”, adventurers how bad is really the city he lives in, and he does it in a quite cynical way too.
“Hiring an investigator to look into your business requires trust, and the amount of trust in Ankh-Morpork wouldn’t fill a cup. And it’s a small cup I’m talking about. Sure, people trust that you don’t get on the wrong side of the patrician; people trust that you don’t walk into the shades alone; people trust that the assassin’s guild will fulfill their contracts or double your money back. Yeah, people even trust death. Just don’t ask them to trust their mothers”

Carlotta is the beautiful, mysterious, rich woman, who serves as the true example of femme fatale, and she is sure to bring trouble.
Lewton: On an ordinary night I’d sit around waiting for business. But this night business was coming to me and bringing trouble with it. Business I didn’t mind. But trouble was an unwelcome guest, and like all unwelcome guests it was hard to ask it to leave, and by the third day it was generally wearing your shirts and leaving its stuff in your bathroom.

Lewton: “For 200 I guess I’ll treat you with some respect”
Carlotta: “Oh I wouldn’t ask a guy like you to attempt the impossible”

Samael is the vampire pianist. He is a reference to the pianist Sam from Casablanca
Lewton: Play it again, Sam.*
Samael: You know what? No one's ever going to believe you said that.

*Reference to Bogart’s line “Play it Sam” in Casablanca. It is one of the most misquoted lines from films.

Malachite is the unintelligent troll that could crush every bone in your body. He wants you to find Therma, and that’s basically all that he’s saying.
Lewton: You’re a tough troll to find, Malachite.
You could say something.
So how you’ve been keeping, Malachite? OK, I guess you don’t want to talk about that.
Is this were you’re staying at the moment? I guess you’re not gonna talk about that either.
Heard any good jokes recently?

Ilsa: Lewton’s ex lover. There always has to be the one that got away. The one that broke our hero’s heart and left him in misery for years. Ilsa is named after Ilsa Lund from Casablanca. As you can see the Ilsa- Lewton-Cafe Ankh-Samael plot mirrors the plot in Casablanca.

Lewton: Ilsa, I thought I’d never see her again. I prayed that I never see her again, but either the gods didn’t listen, or they were having a laugh at my expense.

Lewton: I spent years rehearsing what I’d say if I saw you again, what I’d ask you. I tried to imagine what you’d say.
Ilsa: But now I’m here, you can’t think of anything to say?
Lewton: Now you’re here and I just want to slap you. Just once, across the cheek
Ilsa: What will that prove?
Lewton: That I still haven’t forgiven you.
Ilsa: You’re not making this easy Lewton
Lewton: Did you think I would? Did you think I’d just come bouncing at you like a trained puppy? Maybe I’ll wag my tail and wait for you to throw me a stick. Well I’m never gonna be another woman’s dog for as long as I live.

Sapphire: The troll singer. She is a kind of a parody to all those gorgeous woman that sing in bars in many noir films, because she is the pure opposite, she is huge, she is though, ans she sings with a rough voice.
Why Must I Be So Blue song

Count von Überwald: Carlotta's father in law. He is ill and can't leave the conservatory, but he still holds power in his hands (or so he thinks) and wants to know everything that's going on around him.

Lewton: The poor are often prouder than the rich-they know that what they have can’t be taken away.
Count: Why would anyone want to take their poverty away?
Lewton: I didn’t say the poor were smart, I said they were proud.

The Butler: He is so awesome! I mean, who doesn’t like a sarcastic butler with British accent?

Butler: May I help you, sir?
Lewton:You could let me in for a start.
Butler: Very good, sir.
Lewton: And don't call me sir.
Butler: As you wish, sir.

Butler (always speaking with a dead pan voice): May I take your coat and hat sir?
Lewton: Thanks, but no. I feel naked without them.
Butler: That must make it difficult to clean them.
Lewton (slightly confused): Was that a joke?
Butler: I never joke, sir, it's not my job. I may lie, dissemble or deceive but I never joke.
Lewton: Look, I don't want you to take my coat, okay?
Butler (with concealed hostility): But of course, sir. Sir is welcome to drip all over the immaculate hardwood floor that I spent several hours polishing this morning, because sir is a guest and sir is entitled to do whatever sir wishes.

Quote of the day: “Love is a moment of weakness that allows someone to hurt you more than you ever thought possible”- Lewton

Song of the day: When you met her
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough

Last edited by SweetDalilah; 01-17-2012 at 08:39 AM.