View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #48
Datadog

All right - just hit Act II!

Some thoughts about the game:

-The opening scroll makes a bad first impression since it moves too fast for me to read, and goes on for quite a while. Something about a sword. I'll figure it out later, I guess.

-But the opening cut-scene to follow is downright awesome and the game just gets better from there. The story really gets me asking more and more questions with every answer I find.

-I love the dialogue in this game. I'm glad I appreciate good satire because Lewton's outer-inner monologues are just awesome to listen.

-The graphics aren't too bad either. Granted, for pre-rendered graphics, they could have made them higher-res (Isla looks like a cyclops) but for their time they look pretty good.

-The game has a very weird habit of not bringing up hotspots. Sometimes, I'll have to pixel-hunt over the same spot several times before the game shows me an exit (because of this, I didn't even know there was a cabin on the boat until my dozenth visit there.)

-The music, while typical in film noire, still keeps me thinking of "Grim Fandango" as I play. It feels like I'm running around Rubacava.

-I rather liked Malachite's side-quest. It came out of nowhere and it's a nice diversion that really opens up the plot. Also - grave-robbing. Always fun to do in the first act of anything.

-The Act ends on a really nasty cliffhanger, so I'm really itching to continue with the story at this point.

-Favorite character so far: Lewton. But out of the NPCs, Sammael. He's easy to talk to.

Incidentally, I'd love to start reading the Discworld novels, but the library of them looks very complex and people have varying opinions about which ones to start on. Any suggestions?