View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
Iznogood
The Magnificent

For me Adventure games have always been a form of interactive story telling, that can do things that neither a movie nor a book can do, simply because you are controlling the character, and not just passivly watching or reading something.

I can forgive a game that has a great story like Dreamfall, but hasn't got much to offer in the form of puzzles, but i quickly loose interest it there isn't any real story. (The ideal is of course a balance of both)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Then this is the clearest proof that the story-to-puzzle ratio is extremely subjective. If a game doesn't have a decent story to tell, but is just a series of puzzles, then I'd go fill in some crossword puzzles instead...
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
On the other side of the ring there are games with lots of story - Dreamfall, Jurassic Park, A Mind Forever Voyaging. I can enjoy this type of game as long as I'm not watching cutscenes non-stop. I REALLY hate cutscenes, and will get tired of a game which overuses them. In a game where I'm guiding the player I don't mind the lack of puzzles. If I want to watch a movie, I will go to the cinema
Once again i couldn't agree more, the idea of AG is that you are controling the character, not just watching endless cutscenes.