View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #34
SweetDalilah
an angel of romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Playthrough?! GREAT! Now, my favourite character in this game is Froderick the bat

Mona is also cute with her sweet high-pitched voice and...

(Crowd whispering)

What? Dee-uhh, i-sc... world? No-aah.. r? Discworld Noir?! Well listen here, i wanted A Vampyre Story playthrough, and i'm sure we can all come to an agreement, i mean why don't we play A Vampyre Story now and that other later on. After all, it's winter time and if you would just let me tell you about that lovely snowy landscape..
Nice enterance Name:  noble.gif
Views: 252
Size:  1.1 KB Name:  tongueout.gif
Views: 250
Size:  698 Bytes
Quote:
(Microphone goes off)

Is this on?

(security guys show up) - Ok, let's leave the stage... (dragging sound)
Well looks like they didn't drag you out after all have you paid them off or something. Name:  bandit.gif
Views: 256
Size:  292 Bytes Name:  tongueout.gif
Size:  698 Bytes

Quote:
Well, it seems AVS will have to wait another year or so But that's alright - Discworld Noir is also one of those games i didn't finish (Fien, i see you ) and actually - it was pretty, pretty high on my "to play" list so this seemed like the perfect opportunity. It's just that i didn't want to admit that publicly because i was still leaning more toward the AVS. I started DN last year for the first time, delayed it and was lazy to install it again later on, but now is the right time.
Liar, liar, pants on fire. Name:  tongueout.gif
Size:  698 Bytes I thought you said you weren't going to take part in this one. Since you wanted A Vampire Story so much . Well nice to see you came after all. Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 247
Size:  2.2 KB

Quote:
I'm a detective buff, even in a more traditional way than noir films, but DN seems like a nice blend of all the stereotypes from Casablanca to Chinatown, and all the PIs in fedora. It seems to be working both as a parody and tribute to those works, but more important - being quite original on its own too. I was among those who were "disappointed" when the game came out as it wasn't all shiny like its predecessors, but was actually surprised to find that the comedic aspect is well-hidden beneath all the dark backgrounds (but i still increased my gamma option slider )
Oh yes DN is a great game, it combines noir films, and Terry Pratchett's great style of writing. Therefore it does serve as both a reference and sometimes as a parody to noir films (I will show these examples later on), and that's why it has the serious tone, but still manages to have funny and sarcastic lines. Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 247
Size:  2.2 KB

Quote:
And - DN is a real quote machine - can't remember playing the game where i'd wish every few seconds just to write down the lines. "Pause" button would fit nicely (especially for the "war story" at the beginning with its scrolling speed ) but Alt-Tab does the job, too. Apart from those SD mentioned, my favs so far are:

- Even the rats thought twice before boarding it.

- If you don't pull strings then you're the puppet.

- Carlotta: I don’t know. I never asked about his work and he never told me.
Lewton: Must be a very straightforward relationship.

and the Wharf guy :

- It was more ontological than existential.
I agree with you completely. I wish that I could write down all the quotes that they are saying.
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough

Last edited by SweetDalilah; 01-15-2012 at 06:53 AM.