View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #15
Mad Manny

Oh dear, as always I get way more than I bargained for.

Weirdly enough I agree with Pyke in theory, that AG's only achieves this "openness" by making each puzzle into a generic obstacle that doesn't tell you anything about the story (for example Full Throttle's 3 bike parts you need to find to fix your bike), YET by far my favorite AG memory is from walking around the Rubacava streets of Grim Fandango and such a large city would never have worked with only a single trail of puzzles,
A dilemma which I can't quite think of an answer to.

Arial Type's reaction from CoMI is interesting, as it's kind of that which I'm starting to feel lately (despite endoursing narrow beginnings for my entire life), however so far the general impression from most posts seems to be that "Most people like to start narrow, and even for those who don't like it it's still a necessary & acceptable evil to ease beginners into the game".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I think OP was talking about "open worlds" as in: plenty of different locations to explore.
Maybe Mad Manny can elaborate?
Hehe to be honest I kept it intentionally vague as I don't know myself what I'm talking about.
I guess I mean open as in "whatever makes me feel like it's open", whether that be in many locations, 3-trials or just a clever illusion of openness.

Last edited by Mad Manny; 01-14-2012 at 05:02 AM.