View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Monolith

Proper game design is taught that to get the most out of your audience and to provide a good/easy learning curve, you must give the player room to explore the gameplay, learning the ropes, and not overwhelm one self with exploring a world. Tutorial/Acceptance first, then the Journey/Adventure.

That was the problem with older games (especially ones that offer a VERY complex game mechanic). Then again, you were expected to read the manual. My have we come a long way.

Sadly a lot of gamers troll the idea of thinking the narrow is a good thing. 'Its stupid that gamers nowadays want the game to hold their hand'.......sorry not everyone plays STALKER and claim the PC is the master race.

Anyways, its best to apply the narrow even in Episodic games. Why? Because we don't know if our audience is an expert gamer or just a casual adventurer.

Not to mention psychologically you want to make the player feel safe before throwing them off a cliff and having them fend for themselves.

In the end it could also just depend on the game genre. :/

Edit: This was the same discussion I was having with myself while working on level design at work. lol So it was a nice surprise to see it as a discussion here.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/