View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
SweetDalilah
an angel of romance

Default AG Community Playthrough - Discworld Noir

Welcome to the Discworld Noir Community Playthrough, my dear adventurers!

Discworld Noir is the third game from the Discworld series. It is set in the same mysterious, fantastic world, but has no other connection to the other two games. So don’t worry, you won’t be missing out on anything if you haven’t played the first two Discworld games.

The weather is bad, the lighting is low, the streets are mean, life is expensive, because it’s death that’s cheap. Bars are filled with piano players and singers who play and sing blues, while people drown their sorrows in drink. Women are beautiful, but tougher than nails. People tend to lie a lot and double-cross one another. It’s a monochrome world filled with cynical detectives. Yup, it’s the setting of every noir film. Combine that with the fantastic and magical world of Disc, filled with vampires, werewolves, zombies, trolls, dwarfs and wizards, and you’ll get Discworld Noir.

If you like noir movies be sure to check out this movie. And here is a song from the movie.

If you want to know more about Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, here is some more info.

Running the game: Discworld Noir works fine on Windows XP, just be sure to press F1 before anything else when you need to load a saved game. For running the game on Vista look at this thread. The only way to make the game work on Windows 7 is the windowed mode, like Manuel said here.
Be sure to save the game very often, because there have been reports of game crashing unexpectedly.

Info about the game: You play as a private eye, Lewton, formerly of the Ankh-Morpork city Watch. Expelled from the watch for taking bribe, he has only now started to put the pieces of his life back together, after years lost in drinking. Trying to get his life back, he sets an office as Ankh-Morpork’s first private detective. But what he doesn’t know is that this job is going to bring him a lot of problems.

The Manual: Consists of 13 pages of instructions and 11 pages of explanations about Discworld, its position, cities, population, races etc.

Navigation and interface:
Click to make Lewton walk to a specific place. Double click in order to make Lewton interact with an object. Right click to cause Lewton to look at an object.
Notebook: Right click on a clue/contact/suspect to make Lewton comment about it.
If you want to connect clues simply click on one clue, and then click on another. Sometimes it may give you another clue
Using inventory: Right click on object in your inventory for Lewton to comment about it.
Click on an object in your inventory in order to pick it up/ use it.
Talking to characters: Simply press Lewton’s mouth. You can also ask them about certain clues or objects by clicking your notebook or your inventory.

If you get stuck in the game be free to ask away in the thread or consult a walkthrough.
Use spoiler tags when appropriate, for instance when discussing puzzles. Don't discuss the acts that we're not playing

Act I

You’ve been hired by a mysterious woman named Carlotta to find out what happened to her lover, Mundy. Lewton makes a comment about her being nothing but trouble. But what Lewton doesn’t know is that the deeper he digs, the things are going to become more and more complicated.

We have 7 days (till Jan 18th) to finish Act I. Stop playing as soon as you reach Act II.

Good luck and happy gaming!

Quotes of the day: I've had some bad days since I started work as a private investigater. But I've never woken up dead before – Lewton
Carlotta: I can take care of myself
Lewton: I believe you
Carlotta: Good, trust is important.
Lewton: I said I believed you, I never said I trusted you.
Carlotta: Don’t you like me, Lewton?
Lewton: I like a lot of things, I like dogs, but I wouldn’t trust one not to bite me.
Carlotta: I won’t bite
Lewton: Shame, I haven’t been bitten in a long while

Song of the day
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough

Last edited by SweetDalilah; 01-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.