View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
thejobloshow

It's like listening to Charlie Brooker talk through his nostrils.

I certainly think adventure games have a lot of room for improvement rather than just integrating action gaming with adventure/RPG elements like they do today. The problem with trying to stuff adventure elements into an FPS or third person action box is that it creates an awfully bipolar game. Look at Catherine!

I also saw that with Uncharted 3 last year where you have this very detailed story and character development strung together by long, repetitive padded combat sequences that completely take you out of that experience.

We rarely have games where the narrative is at the centre of the design. Cinematic platformers have been able to do this for years with titles like Out of this World, Ico and Limbo. In those games your gameplay tells the story because the mechanics of the game are defined BY the story and not the genre.

I see some of the savvy designers already know that. I mean, in the past two years we've had Ghost Trick, Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire and those games all fall into the same genre of "adventure" but have wildly different mechanics. It'll be interesting to see how games develop this way because I don't see this as just reviving "adventure", I see it as the next step in making games what they should be: art.