View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #40
Oscar
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Really? Gameplay mechanics, Environments, Non-Linear Adaptive Narrator, Interesting Story, etc.

From Dust is nothing like Populous. What you meant was Black & White minus the animals.
Not at all. Raising/lowering the terrain to make it safe for your inhabitants to establish villages is basically the essence of both games, with added god-like powers. I haven't played much of Black & White and can't really remember it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar too.

I can't think of any other RTS based around manipulating the terrain and calling in supernatural powers in the way that From Dust and Populous do.

Quote:
Limbo wasn't original since we already have a billion artsy games like it, just minus the great engine of Unreal.
What do you mean by "artsy"? I'm not sure that precludes a game from being original. It wasn't a game totally based around style, if that's what you're suggesting. Although I would say that style is the main thing that separates it from games like Another World, which is very similar in terms of gameplay.

Quote:
Saying how Bastion isn't original is just as bad as calling your listed games as original. Seriously, a low blow for a brilliant game.
What originality Bastion had came from combining genres that hadn't been combined very often. To me it was just an amalgamation of RPG like Diablo and isometric action taken from some of the old SNES/Genesis games like Landstalker. With an extremely annoying narration over the top - and if that was the main thing that was original I can safely say "no thanks" to it being in future games.