View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #81
Fien
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
This is another pointlessly tiresome exchange, Fien. You made a definitive comparative statement about both lists without having seen the top half of ours. I ventured a guess about the commonalities in the remaining half. Yes, a guess. That's what the "almost" was for. And I'll eat my hat if my statement isn't true. Though really, I don't care much at this point.
What I’m getting from this, is that if I’d added an “it-looks-like” or a “so-far” to my original statement, we wouldn’t have had this exchange. No problem, I’ll try to remember in future.

Quote:
But just for the record, no, I didn't say the top halves of our lists would be more similar. I said that our top half would have more in common with your top 100 than the bottom half.
Aha. So for you, my “in common” referred only to the number of games. But I consider placement just as important, if not more important. With one or two exceptions, AG ranks the games that also appear on my list much, much lower. For instance, Dreamfall (52), Callahan’s (66), Spycraft (90), Feeble Files (91), Space Bar (98) are in my top twenty, Obsidian (62) and Discworld are in my top ten.

So yes, it is possible that AG’s top fifty will have more games that also appear in my top hundred. But based on what I’ve seen so far, and on the IMO quite reasonable predictions of AG’s top 50 made by others, I expect that number will be about the same as in AG’s bottom fifty.

Quote:
You yourself already said the bottom 50 is the half with the greater variation rather than the predictable top half.
I said that about the AG list, which is IMO by definition way more predictable than any individual top hundred.