View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 05:15 AM   #38
purple

Thanks for your kind words, people!

@Peter:
Thanks.
But i'm afraid there won't be an alternative interface to play with.
A year ago at the beginning of our relaunch, there's been a team intern discussion about that. And considering our personally visions and the most fans wishes (!), we decided to stay old school (apart from the nostalgic trip).
Meanwhile i know a lot of people, who are very comfortable with the original interface, because it has still a handy and clear arranged design.
For the most of the people it has nostalgic reasons indeed, but there are also some of them thinking positive about our interface who didn't even know the original game before growing up, so partly there isn't a reference to the gamers childhood, too.
There's just no need for an exchange, and in the matter of programming, a second interface with another usage would make it much more complicated to integrate it.

About the engines.
That's a very legitimate question, and i've already answered that for a lot of times in german. So here comes the premiere for the english colleagues.
Well, Visionaire and Wintermute are two totally different engines, you can't really compare them.
Visionaire is a great, user-friendly tool with which you can easily develop your own game. You don't even have to be a programmer to do that, there is nothing about scripting, just clicking around with your mouse. Maybe Visionaire has made advantages with some new features and that kind of stuff till this day, i really don't know, but in fact it's a huge reduction for a very advanced, if not professional programmer.
At the beginning of the project, the team was built up of children, with no experience and very decent skills and standards. But in spring 2010 the programmer (the one who left us, but he's working job-related as a programmer today) told us that he doesn't wanna work with that anymore.
Too many features were missing and we began getting more and more unsatisfied with the whole gameplay.
Of course it's been a huge step, and we were thinking about that for weeks, not to mention our bad conscience toward the Visionaire Team. But he already knew WME from some of his private scripting experiments and told us for many times, that WME definitely would be the better option for experienced programmers.
In WME, you can do everything by yourself, and there are uncountable possibilities.
And honestly, he was right and the first results with WME were mind-blowing.

Unfortunately he left the project a few months later, but as i said, Nico is the man for that. Not to think about, what we were doing today without WME.

@Giocherellone:
Worth consideration!
Seriously, i'm thinking about that.
Maybe it would be a nice, small christmas gift, but i would have to contact one of the originators. We'll see.