View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Kurufinwe

Ooh, a thread where we can bitch in great detail! I needed that.

Things that made me happy
I've come to realise that I'm really not fond at all of games that are just an endless stream of nonsensical inventory puzzles with just some jokes and no story in between. That's why I think Day of the Tentacle is a terrible game. And that's why I'm glad Toonstruck got on the list (it's cute), but not higher.
The Feeble Files. I'm glad it didn't get forgotten. It's extremely hard, but Feeble is just such a great character.
The Colonel's Bequest got on the list instead of LB2. Hah!
The write-up for The 7th Guest is really spot-on. Despite all its shortcomings, the game deserved to be on the list.
Quest for Glory II! If rankings on the list were based on how many times I've played a game, this one should be in the top-5. Hopefully QfG4 will be somewhere up there.
Shadow of the Comet. Really glad this one didn't get forgotten either.
Hotel Dusk! Hopefully, Last Window will be here as well (based on last year's Aggies, I'm guessing it'll be).
Loom is in there. I'm not sure how one is supposed to rank such a particular game, but I'm glad it's on the list.

Things that annoyed me
Faust should be higher. It may not be top-20 material, but it's a very intriguing game that deserves better than 94.
I love The Dig. It's one of my favourite games ever. I really don't understand why there are so many people who don't like it.
Simon the Sorceror II. See my comments on DotT and Toonstruck above. Also it's insanely ugly (contrary to the first one, which at least had that going for it). I replayed it a few months ago, and I can confirm that's it's a really awful (and mostly unfunny) game.
The Awakened. Ugh. Remastered edition or not, I still think it has several awful sections, and I think it's vastly inferior to its two sequels (Lupin and Jack the Ripper).
Leisure Suit Larry 7. It's a fine line between risque and crass, and I feel that LSL7, contrary to its predecessors, ended up on the wrong side --- particularly because Larry actually got most of the girls this time, turning the series from "lovable loser tries to pretend he's a stud and mostly fails" to "creepy old guy bangs tons of hot chicks". I think LSL3 or 6 would have been better choices as the highlight of the series.
999 is listed in the "you might also like...", which means it won't make the list. That's one of the most gripping games I've ever played.

Games I need to play:
Gemini Rue
Amber
Shadow of Destiny. Bought it a few years ago, stopped playing after a couple of chapters for some reason, can't get it to run now that I'm on Win 7 64-bit.
Book of Unwritten Tales
Black Dahlia
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 12-22-2011 at 09:10 PM.