View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
Mad Manny

Default Would you ever fund an AG project?

I'm quite fascinated by the concept of how some people are donating money to game-projects on sites like 8-bit-funding/indie-gogo/kickstarter so my question to you is:

What would it take for you to donate to an adventure-game project?

And keep in mind I'm not asking what you think "people" are looking for, but what it would take for YOU to dig into your wallet and hand over money to a stranger, money which you could have spent on something you really wanted to buy for yourself!

Is it purely the apparent quality of the project?
Or are you in it for the perks (for example a character of you in the game)?
Or does it have to pin-point your specific niche precisely (for example a fan-game of your favorite game)?

Personally the only time I've ever donated to a game-project was the donate-button on OpenTTD (transport tycoon fan-game) but that was because I had already played the game and it was AMAZING (was playing it 12 hours a day when I first downloaded it), I'm not entirely sure I would ever donate to a WIP game, or perhaps the right project just hasn't come along for me yet.

I guess the reason why I'm so suspicious against WIP games is because a couple of years ago I got unlimited free use of my friends recording studio so I took the opportunity to volunteer to for every single project on the internet that was looking for VO, after auditioning for hundreds of projects I was eventually casts to record final lines for 20+ projects, since then only 1 single project was ever finished and that guy didn't even credit me in the credits, point being that very few project ever really make it, so personally it would be difficult to convince me to hand over actual money to a WIP project, and looking around at most of these funding websites most projects looks like they are in extremely early stages.

What about you?