View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #10
terhardp

From the beginning of the year, I've played the following titles:

The Black Mirror III

From what I've read, the final part of the saga left many of its fans a bit underwhelmed. At first, it seemed to me like a decent conclusion. Now it feels quite forced out. But the game definitely had its benefits, like the predecessor. I still think that first game is the best in the series, despite great number of flaws.

The Next BIG Thing

This is also the game that I've rated highly than it deserves at first. The "promises" of recognizable graphic design, puzzles and humor is what made me check it out, despite the fact I knew there will be creatures (and which I simply don't like). Apart from the graphic, neither of the game's aspects weren't particulary good, comparing to Runaway triology.

Portal 2

When I've read the AG.com review of Portal before playing the game, I couldn't figure out why it's rated so highly. But after playing the game, I've definitely realized its potential. Portal 2 only confirmed that and made the Portal series one of my favorites ever.

Back to the Future: The Game

As a big fan of the movie triology, there was a little doubt that I'm going to play this. Overall, the game had its charms: mainly the voice-acting and some story elements. But the lack of gameplay and the dated graphic engine left a bitter-sweet taste in my mouth.

Alpha Polaris

Typical B-type movie thing. Everything about this game is mediocre. I've gave it a rather high rating though, as this is still a solid first title from the team that had developed this game.

A New Beginning

Shallow or not, the game graphic is the first thing that made me check a particular title. Generally, I prefer realism outside the genre, but I lean a bit toward the cartoon / comic style in adventures. The graphic style typical for Deadalic.com had certainly drawn my attention since I've seen screenshots of The Whispered World. As I don't like fantasy, I've skipped that game and was very intrigued when I've heard of A New Beginning. This is one of the better adventure games I've played in the last few years. It has almost everything, including good story, gameplay, locations and characters.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars DC

As a huge BS fan, I was dissapointed by this version. It doesn't bring anything more than the fantastic original already has to offer.

Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror DC

Same thing as the game above.

L.A. Noire

With some minor flaws, this will defintely enter the list of the best games I've ever played. It has everything I could wish for in a game, including immersive gameplay, good story and characters, stunning visuals and audio, great locations etc. One of the three best games I've played this year and the game that I will definitely replay a few times to experience all it has to offer.

Batman: Arkham City

I'm still playing it and I'm happy that I'm still at some 35% of the gameplay, at least according to game's statistics. Not that it matters much; when I think about Batman games, the first thing that comes to my mind is replay value. I still haven't replayed the first game, so it also has lots of yet undiscovered teritory for me.

Everything that I've wrote about L.A. Noire also apply here, but I might even give slight advantage to Batman when it comes to gameplay diversity.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III

Last edited by terhardp; 12-18-2011 at 12:18 AM.