View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
harald

But 2011 isn't over yet! I expect to finish a fair amount of games during the holidays, when (hopefully) I won't have much else to do. Then again, since I always end up having a lot to do anyway, I'll post my list now. But there may be some additions in a week or two...

The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble. A wonderfully weird game, but very difficult in places.

Emerald City Confidential. Nice and easy, and with a really well-told story. Worth playing despite its casual nature.

Torin's Passage. Interesting to see another side of Al Lowe. An okay game, but spends too much energy setting up for a sequel that never came to be and ends up feeling rushed at the end.

Portal 2. Pure genius, and one of the best games I played this year.

Syberia 2. I think Sokal should have left the story after the first game. The sequel is tolerable, but definitely not better than its predecessor.

Black Dahlia. Very difficult puzzles, which break the flow of the story. I hated the ending but liked the FMV; the unknown actor portraying the main character is great and outshines both Dennis Hopper and Teri Garr.

Edna & Harvey. Unlike adventure gamers in general, I didn't think that much of this game. It was pretty fun to play, and the puzzles were rather good (especially the one with the security guard). Maybe I let the hype crank up my expectations. I wished the story was more focused, I wonder if the designer even knew where he wanted to go with it. Then again, this was one of the reasons that compelled me to continue playing - I needed to see how it would end.

Tex Murphy: Overseer. This is, of course, the competitor to my best gaming experience of 2011. You can't go wrong with Tex. (Or can you? I still haven't played the first two.)

The Legend of Zelda. I know, this is really stretching the definition of adventure game. But if you don't have too much trouble with the (very simplistic) combat, there is some fun to be had with the puzzles and exploration. I look forward to the rest of the series (I'm near the end of A Link to the Past right now).