View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
aimless
lost in rubacava

"Do your games work together aimless? Do they create a complete experience like consoles do? Its the difference between going to a book store and going to a yard sale. One has a better user experience with great usability and community while the other is temporary and will only offer the item and nothing more."

I'm afraid we're doomed never to understand one another. I have no idea what you mean by a "complete experience". You talk about books as if it's where you get them and being able to discuss them with others that makes or breaks the book. For me, it's the book itself and its impact on me; I really don't care what anyone else thinks of it. It's the same with games. I read the blurbs, the reviews if there are any, and maybe I'll decide to buy one. It's a lot better way of determining how to spend my money than relying on the opinions of gamers who may not even remotely like the sort of thing I do. If I have to rave about it or diss it, I can always do it on the forums.

"Community is key because the general pc gamers I see at gamestop are complete antisocial white boys with no social skills whatsoever."

Never bought anything at Gamestop but I have looked futilely for AGs at places like Best Buy and talked to the occasional gamer. I am a heck of a lot older than most of them but they weren't all white and they were certainly sociable enough with me. We even found some common ground when I introduced them to GOG. Amazed, really, that they didn't know anything about it.

"GOG is still. Its a portal to everything good and old. (god I just said that -_-), but it lacks everything about the latest and greatest in pc gaming."

Yeah, but I still love boxes and if a game has me impatient as hell waiting for it, I get the box when it comes out. As for the 'latest and greatest', there's a big fuss going on over at GOG because they plan to add newer games - one to three years old. That may be too old for some but I can wait. At least I can hope I don't expire first.

"Seriously though, entitlement to a physical object is getting old. It's sad people feel the need to own a physical object. Its all an illusion to make one feel safer?"

That's way too philosophical for me. I prefer to own rather than rent or use on someone else's sufferance. Let's put it that way.

"If there is a company that won't go under for decades, it's Valve/Steam. I'd prefer to throw my cash into a company that will allow me to 'own' my copy forever essentially without threat of losing the physical copy while also getting the latest compatibility and updates for the product."

Well, if I'm throwing cash (bloody unlikely since I don't have that much of it), I'd rather toss it to a company that doesn't put any restrictions on my game, doesn't require me to use that umbilical cord connecting me to them called a client, removes the DRM if there is any and seems to respect me as a customer.

As for updates, I don't play many games outside the AG genre so I usually get games that don't require them. When I do have one that needs tweaking, it's amazing how easy it is to find a patch or a NoCD offered freely on the web. It's thanks to someone at Quick and Easy Software that I can play Grim Fandango on my Win7, 64 bit. Lucas Arts certainly hasn't updated that game to play on modern computers. Not that they've let anyone have it for download with or without restrictions. Just saying.

Should I sign this, Fossil?