View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 03:48 AM   #18
Intense Degree
Failed Birthday Elf

My first computer was an Amstrad CPC 6128 my Dad got in about 1986 and that and the BBCs, Spectrums, Commodores and Amigas etc. of my friends and at school were my experience of computers until we got a PC in about 1991/1992. KQ6 was one of the first games I had and it changed everything for me! I started discovering the Sierra back catalogue (the 80's stuff) and by the time Gabriel Knight came along I was absolutely hooked. Later Broken Sword and others through the mid 90's kept it going strong.

I went to University in 1998 and even by this time I think the "Golden Age" had passed in England. I remember going into Game and a few other computer game shops around when GK3 was released. There was so little information about it anywhere to be found I didn't know where to find it and when I asked "Do you have Gabriel Knight 3?" I can clearly remember the vacant looks on the faces of staff, it seemed like no-one had even heard of it. It took me ages to even find a copy. Even then it was all about consoles and I even spent a not inconsiderable part of my student loan on a Playstation, Fifa 98 and the original GTA!

I was brought back to adventure games in the early 2000's by Adventure Game Studio when I played Yahtzee's Rob Blanc games and other free titles. I think that my next commercial adventure game purchase after GK3 was probably Black Mirror in 2003 ish and that got me back into commercial adventure games. Since then I would say things have picked up again and now we are in quite a good place genre-wise, compared to the end of the 90's and beginning of 2000's anyway.

Still never played the Last Express though.