View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #16
Idrisguitar

Sorry I should have backed it up a bit. I’m very harsh on most games, including shooters (more so shooters, no interest whatsoever). In fact there are hardly any games I do like apart from the great AGs and some smaller scale games.

And by formulaic I should specify they use the same recipe every time, they don’t go out of any comfort zone at all. They don’t take risks artistically. As I said this is my personal opinion, and if you knew my limited tastes in gaming you would understand why I find telltale so bland.

Games like frozen synapse, braid, spacechem, VVVVVV, they are not AAA, they are not going to be remembered as classics in twenty years but they are all extremely original and engrossing to me.

AGs like GK, BS1, MI, they all have that unique art style, that way above standard writing and direction. That mood that you can tell they carefully and lovingly crafted to transport the user into a different world.

Games are some of the best creative media out there, but when I feel like the company were following a formula and weren't really pushing themselves to try and make something original then I just don’t get engaged.

Even something like Book of unwritten tales. The art style is striking, the story is interesting, and the design is great. all this together just screams that the developers loved making this game and wanted it to be nothing short of a highlight in the genre.

There’s no way I can believe telltale try that on every single episode they release.

Also please, while you may disagree with everything I say, I’m not interested in a debate, I’m expressing my VERY personal opinion, and I totally 100% respect and understand anyone who doesn't share it.

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 11-19-2011 at 03:49 AM.