Thread: TES V Skyrim
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 AM   #41
Oscar
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
You failed to mention that lockpicking in skyrim isn't that basic. There are various skill levels of lockpicking. Depending on the way your stats are setup, you can attempt a harder level, but the chance of your lockpick breaking depends on your skill stats. On top of that, other sub skills gained through branches will help increase the dead zone in which the knob will start to turn. It all depends on your skills/stats.
That's what I said, isn't it? The big difference is that in skyrim it's possible to crack an "expert" level lock without any skill in lockpicking at all. While in Game A that would be impossible. That is something that depends totally on the skill of the gamer, not the in-game character. In other words, your "role" as gamer when opening locks is greater than your "role" as the character you are playing.

Quote:
That chance of lockpick breaking is exactly if not a less in your face version of the "Success" and "Fail" method of your Game A. Just with actually content.
Why? How?

Quote:
Sure it may not be a "Success" or "Fail" or one of your ideas of a Black & White game design. Though my point still stands. Are you arguing that Skyrim isn't a pen & paper style game? Because that doesn't necessarily mean "Hardcore" or not.
No, I'm not arguing that - that would be silly. What I was trying to get at is simply that there is less role-playing in Skyrim, which makes it less "hardcore". Here's why:

In example A, the person opening the lock is the character in the game. If your character doesn't have the ability to open the lock, nothing can be done.

In example B, the person opening the lock is, by and large, the person sitting in front of the computer (even though, as you said, gaining skill can make that a little easier).

It should be obvious that in B you are playing more as 'you' than your in-game character, like in action games. Hence, less "role-playing".