Thread: TES V Skyrim
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #39
Monolith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Yes, and it's that reasoning we're disputing. You can't get off so easily by pre-empting our posts with a "if you disagree with me, you haven't read or understood my post"

Let's go into more detail then. Let's take two different games and a particular skill - say lockpicking.

In Game A, the success or failure of a lockpick attempt will depend completely on the character's statistics. So when you try to pick a lock the game either comes up with "success" or "fail" depending whether your character's stats are high enough.

In Game B, you still have lockpicking stats but when you pick a lock an animated lock appears on the screen. You manipulate the lockpick in the lock using the mouse and keyboard and success or failure depends on whether you have the lockpick in the right position.

Now clearly, Skyrim is my prototype for Game B, but I'd be interested to know whether you think there is as much "role-playing" in Game B's lockpicking as there is in Game A's, and why you think so.

You failed to mention that lockpicking in skyrim isn't that basic. There are various skill levels of lockpicking. Depending on the way your stats are setup, you can attempt a harder level, but the chance of your lockpick breaking depends on your skill stats. On top of that, other sub skills gained through branches will help increase the dead zone in which the knob will start to turn. It all depends on your skills/stats.

That chance of lockpick breaking is exactly if not a less in your face version of the "Success" and "Fail" method of your Game A. Just with actually content.

Sure it may not be a "Success" or "Fail" or one of your ideas of a Black & White game design. Though my point still stands. Are you arguing that Skyrim isn't a pen & paper style game? Because that doesn't necessarily mean "Hardcore" or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
God you're unpleasant.
How irrelevant.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/