Thread: TES V Skyrim
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #36
Oscar
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Before anyone even replies to this, READ MY POSTS. I've already given sufficient evidence to my reasoning and opinion.
Yes, and it's that reasoning we're disputing. You can't get off so easily by pre-empting our posts with a "if you disagree with me, you haven't read or understood my post"

Quote:
Edit: Also Oscar. So your opinion of a hardcore RPG is where you do nothing and your stats do everything. lol No.

Action in a Pen & Paper game, the ability to position your character on a board or use range or melee is the equivalent of skyrim, with the addition of more "Advanced" gameplay.

Furthermore, Elder Scrolls since Arena minus the spinoff's and ignoring Oblivion, have been very hardcore games. Keep ignoring what makes a game hardcore, let alone what makes an RPG hardcore and you'll have a silly old man saying one bias opinion to another.
Let's go into more detail then. Let's take two different games and a particular skill - say lockpicking.

In Game A, the success or failure of a lockpick attempt will depend completely on the character's statistics. So when you try to pick a lock the game either comes up with "success" or "fail" depending whether your character's stats are high enough.

In Game B, you still have lockpicking stats but when you pick a lock an animated lock appears on the screen. You manipulate the lockpick in the lock using the mouse and keyboard and success or failure depends on whether you have the lockpick in the right position.

Now clearly, Skyrim is my prototype for Game B, but I'd be interested to know whether you think there is as much "role-playing" in Game B's lockpicking as there is in Game A's, and why you think so.