View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
You know, I realize everyone has a slightly different slant on things...sometimes a very different slant...so there's no way I'd question your enjoyment of a game but I have to ask how you see zombies coming out of walls as realistic.
Zombies coming out of walls? You mean Asmodeus in GK3? Other than that I have no idea what you're talking about (unless there's some part in GK1 I've forgotten, I have only played through it once or twice quite a while back)...

There's a difference between a supernatural plotline and just plain sillyness. Like, if it's a story about vampires, then sure, there can be vampires, clearly unrealistic things per se, but they are to be expected because they belong in that setting. But if it's still set in a real world, the things that are supposed to be of the real world are supposed to be realistic.

Just off the top of my head, in Broken Sword, George just flies around in Europe and Middle-East and goes to who-knows-where, like "oh! Some remote village in Syria! Well, why don't I just head over to the airport, fly to Syria and take a bus from there. I'll be back home by lunch." In the beginning there's a bombing - a bombing - and they have plenty of time to look around the place, talk to people, until the police force shows up with the might of one detective and his dumbish assistant. And then that one guy who can clearly see into the café just goes on doing his job when a bomb just went of about 20 meters from him, blowing up a café, and apparently doesn't even notice... Oh yeah, and there was a hotel receptionist, who knows you stole a room key, but doesn't mind you keeping it, now that you so cleverly stole it.

And if you really are talking about GK3, then sure, the whole Asmodeus thing was a little silly (the ending chapter overall with the death puzzles and all was the only thing I somewhat disliked about the game - though I liked the story in the end), and there's one a silly puzzle there in the beginning, but overall, the world behaves realistically. The characters behave like real people.

And, like I said, it's not a fair comparison (and I do very much enjoy both games). Broken Swords are supposed to be humorous, Gabriel Knights fairly serious, but supernatural (and so supernatural things belong in that world). But to me this one is completely an argument about how the world was fleshed out, and cleary Gabriel Knight has a world far more deep than Broken Sword.