Thread: Azrael's Tear
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
ozzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
Hey Ozzie, thanks for the personal insight!

Also, a few notes!

* You can't kill most characters because of the effects of grailstone, remember? They won't die permanently unless decapitated or maimed, and even then their spirit will remain trapped in Aeternis as a ghost, forever trying to re-enter their body. I do wish the game gave you the option to permanently disable some foes after you shot then, though... wouldn't be hard cutting their head off with a blade or using a stone to crush their skulls. I guess that would complicate the design of the game though(which is already complex).
I know that, of course! But this explanation isn't consistent with what happens in the game. In the case of Phillip, like I said, the old corpse keeps sticking around even after you met him again later on. Also, the characters never behave like you just tried to murder them! Yeah, I know they're deranged, but they talk exactly like if you didn't try to kill them.
But at least in the case of Phillip he doesn't seem to know you when you see him alive again later on. This is the only change of dialogue I've noticed.

I think the game still needed some adjustments in this regard. At least they should've done it like in Half Life 2 and make the talky NPCs unkillable.

Quote:
* That puzzle where you had to jump to your death was probably one of the most brilliant ever. Funny that probably most people who played it couldn't figure it out without a walkthrough, even though it was quite obvious considering the game lore!
You know, I never thought of this explanation! I dunno why, but yeah, thanks for mentioning this. D'oh!

Quote:
* I love it how every single character in the game turns out to be a son of a b***h. Everyone has an angle and ulterior motives. I know no other game that created such a fear inducing and desperate atmosphere. It is full blown paranoia from begginning to end.
Actually, there's one exception, one character where at first you believe he's just as deranged as the rest, because he talks in such an arrogant manner, so belittling and full of himself. But, he deviates insofar that in the end he seems to be pretty much normal and a good guy. He's like the reverse of Cobweb. Too bad what fate has in store for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
This is one my favorite adventure games of all time.

And I love the beginning - not sure why you say it's slow, it has potentially hostile dinosaurs, ghosts, deadly acid and you have to kill one of your competitors or he'll kill you. It's quite an intense experience right from the start.
Not until my second playthrough did I realize that you can actually run! I think that was because you never need to run, not even away from the reptiles! So, instead of killing the competitor early on, you can just run away from him until he's killed by somebody else.

Last edited by ozzie; 11-11-2011 at 12:31 AM.