View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #30
Peter254

No spoilers. I was disappointed with Deception. It started off with a solid mystery, but then went nowhere with about three sub-plots before the climax abruptly arrived at Rosa's own doorstep (figuratively speaking), without any sense of build-up. The three sub-plots felt like padding. It would have made sense if they each revealed something new and the plot progressed with each twist. Instead it was more like a Russian doll: you got past one layer only to see that an identical one was beneath it.

In layman's terms, the word I'm reaching for is repetitive. I still enjoyed it, but combined with the deliberately lower production values, I would rank this as my least favorite Blackwell game. It's only saving grace is its ending, because you can really get a feel for how Gilbert wants to expand the consequences of Rosa's and Joey's enterprise into unforeseen territory.

And to touch on a topic started by other posters, I prefer Sande Chen's performance of Rosa over Rebecca Whittaker's. Not only do I find Sande more convincing in her line delivery, but she conveys a completely different personality over Rebecca. Sande's Rosa sounds more vulnerable, nerdy, and reluctant, which I find more endearing and fitting for a young woman who doesn't want the responsibility of being a Bestower of Eternity. Rebecca's Rosa comes off as cocksure, sarcastic, and laid back. Not bad at all, but I could never believe it was the "right" choice when compared to Sande.