View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #20
Mad Manny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I'm not sure I agree with TimovieMan's "there needs to be an objective". I can think of two cases where the application of this might spoil a game for me.
Ah, good point!
Like Tim; I also assumed that you at the very least needs to be aware of the objective, even if it's extremely vague like "somehow save the princess", but as you pointed out Myst is not like that, which is perhaps EXACTLY why I am never able to enjoy that game myself.

So I propose that Oscar's point make for a third C-option, one where you don't even necessarily know that you are trying to escape the room.

i.e.
a) Predefined Puzzle + Objective (Escape the room, by somehow solving the riddle which books to pull).
b) Predefined Objective (Somehow escape the room to stop the villain).
c) Nothing predefined. (Perhaps you should escape the room, but perhaps the entire game is just about interacting with things in this one room, who knows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
The objective is something that would fit into the story, of course. "Find the artifact before the bad guys find it" is also an objective, but perfectly within the storyline of the game, and the story is the most important thing, no?
Yes, Tim has got it exactly right, I'm a bit confused over Oscar's last paragraph but I'm thinking perhaps he has a bit different definition of the word "Objective" than me (there might be a more suitible word for it),

Perhaps a better word for it is "Motivation"? i.e. I'm not necessarily talking about a quest-book that has written objectives, but it could just as well be that you've just seen a cut-scene of the villain piecing together the last parts of his atom-bomb so that it's implied story-wise that you need to stop him and a good starting point is probably to get out of this locked room.