View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate me View Post
I also remember a game where the character knocks on your screen monitor and tells you something... but I can't remember where...
Rincewind in Discworld 1

On topic, yeah - TimovieMan hit the spot, it comes down to whether designers are breaking the 4th wall. There're also a couple of variations - there could be a narrator in the game, who isn't talking directly to you, but rather to a main character, who is again - you. Larry, Sierra's Quests, Al Emmo... I'm not sure and i can't remember now, but there might be an instance where both narrator and main character really break the wall and start talking to you

Also, it's interesting to remember that game can be in 1st, 2nd and 3rd person dialog mode (i doubt i got the terminology right), not connected to view perspective. In a typical "1st person mode", you would pick up an apple and character would say - "I picked up an apple". In 2nd person mode, it would be "You picked up an apple", spoken by a narrator for example, who would in a 3rd person mode say "He picked up an apple", or "Larry picked up an apple".

Last edited by diego; 10-28-2011 at 10:24 AM.