View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
Mad Manny

Oh dear, I think I'm losing you guys, maybe things will clear up in my head tomorrow after a good nights sleep but at least for now I could swear that both Cbman and Kate has swapped case-a and case-b the wrong way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
I much prefer 'B'. It's all about the exploration.
Some examples - Myst games, Rhem, Darkfall.
Thanks, finally a post I can get my head around. And yes I agree that option-B is about exploration, which is why I play adventure-games (that allows for exploration) but never do brain-teasers (which are all about the puzzle itself, not about the exploration).

Altho I can still understand Dave's view, that Casual Gamers want to be served the puzzle so that they can solve it, but don't have that confidence/experience within games to BOTH look for the puzzle and the solution,
that that dual-layer gets too confusing, like "Yeah I get it that I should escape the locked room, but I don't understand what the puzzle is! hand me the puzzle so that I may figure out how to solve it. If I don't know what the puzzle is then how can I progress? Am I supposed to look for a hidden key? If so I'll do it, but I can't start clicking around unless I know specifically what the puzzle is!". (a pretty extreme example, as a locked-room has such limited exploration anyway, but in a city with 5 locations it makes more sense).