View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Mad Manny

Default The awkward relationship between character's will and player's commands.

Have you ever played an adventure-game where the PC (Playable Character) says something that's referring to you as the player and it all just seems kind of weird?
(Edit: Regarding serious stories only, as this annoyance can simply be fun in comedy-games)

For example in Gabriel Knight 3 occasionally Gabriel will deny some commands and say/think "Hey, are you trying to get me killed?" to which I always react "Who are you referring to?".

I would just be curious to hear what you guy's thoughts are on that subject, and yes I do have a feeling I might be the only one who freaks out about these things.

Some different variations I can think of:
a) The player's actions are the character's brain, and just like every human brain sometimes there's conflicting thoughts, like if you are standing on top of a tower you might get an impulse thinking "I should jump!" but luckily another part of your brain might think "What a crazy thought I just had".

b) Rather than the PC specifically denying some of your actions he will comment about the action, for example if you ask ppl for money in 'Discworld Noir' he won't say "No, I'm not going to do that" but rather he starts a inner monologue saying "I was tempted to ask him for money, but I decided not to resort to begging".

c) The "invisible force", I'm sure I remember some adventure-games (can't remember which ones) that says lines like "I felt like a strange invisible force was trying to make me do weird things",
This one is perhaps the strangest, are they saying that the character has no free will that every non-cutscene action he has done in the entire game is purely divine intervention?

Can you think of any more variations?

Last edited by Mad Manny; 10-28-2011 at 09:47 AM.