View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
Mad Manny

(Updated the original post to clarify TimovieMan's excellent point)
Couple of hours later and the thread is already filled with lots of great answers! Cheers, guys.

So far I think Oscar has made the best point; that option-a can sometimes make you feel like a lap-dog rather than feel creative,

However I would also argue that on the other hand option-b can sometimes make you feel confused as to what to what to solve despite knowing what the character's problem/objective is.
For example, slight Grim Fandango spoiler:
Spoiler:
There was a puzzle that could only be solved if you carefully looked and analyzed the cat-race photo, had I known this was where the puzzle lied I might have had a chance to solve it, but instead I was just walking through Rubacava clueless of what to try next.

@TimovieMan:
Thanks for that real-game example, that's exactly what I'm talking about for option-A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ View Post
It depends... these days I don't have as much time to play as I used to so I actually prefer easier puzzles for which I don't constantly just have to flip back to the walkthrough.
Ok sure one option might be easier than the other, but what I'm really interested in isn't so much a "easy vs. difficult"-discussion but rather just about which presentation you prefer,
for example since option-a would probably be the easier one we could say that on that one we make the puzzle itself (which books to pull) extra difficult to balance them out.

Last edited by Mad Manny; 10-28-2011 at 04:40 AM.