View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #21
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

I don't think there's anything wrong in caring about the graphics. They're part of the execution, part of the experience, and they help to create all those things people legitimately care about, like atmosphere, storytelling, and even (to a lesser extent) puzzles.

I've played a bit of Deception (maybe 45 minutes - I took a break because I still can't get used to the new voice for Rosa), and I'm not loving the graphics either. But I think they're OK, acceptable for what the game is trying to achieve. Honestly, my biggest dislike is the mixing of resolutions, and particularly the ugly scaling artifacts this creates in some cases.

If you're not aware, the graphics are mainly created by two AGSers, InCreator (backgrounds) and Ben304 (sprites). Both are pretty experienced and have done really good work in the past. InCreator's style does rely heavily on 3D rendering, but he's usually able to give it a pixel-art look. I don't think the screenshot in the first post is the most representative example of how the graphics look in general.

Dave has talked a lot on his blog and forums about his difficulties choosing artists and art style, and has experimented with different approaches for each episode of the series. He also has to be pragmatic about it and invest his resources where they matter most. And in that regard I think it's important to point out that not only has Deception sold well, the reviews for this episode on most sites have been very positive.

For my money the best-looking (and in many ways the best, though partly just because it was all fresh back then) Blackwell game is still The Blackwell Legacy.