View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #136
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

I found it a little weird that they tied augmentation so tightly to experience points. You're encouraged to maximise EXP gain to get the toys, faster.

And exp isn't exactly awarded fairly, you're encouraged to a particular playstyle (explore/hack/stealth)... that can potentially ruin the story and a lot of the fun.

You can get quite a lot of augmentations if you just run around Detroit early on hacking everything you find, ruining future plot hooks by stumbling onto clues and evidence for quests that haven't triggered yet.

I haven't worked out why I have to stand up and shout "hey everyone I'm hacking this computer/door/switch now". The game forces you to deal with guards BEFORE hacking, and guards typically have the fucking password for the thing you intend to hack on their person... BUH!?

But hey, if you want mad exp gain to get them praxis points (and they say nu-poz is addictive) you hack, even with that fat 4 digit code screaming at you above the hack button.

I enjoyed the game a lot more when I removed augmentation gain from the equation (by cheating) and just followed the story, playing Jensen how I wanted but letting the story lead me by the hand.