View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 04:52 AM   #17
Intense Degree
Failed Birthday Elf

This is my first time playing a Tex Murphy game (although I saw about 5 mins of UAKM at a friend's years ago).

I have just got to the warehouse but thought I might share some first impressions.

I like FMV games but am always wary of them as when they are done badly... however, no need to worry about that here as it is clear from the beginning that this game works well with the FMV sections and the 3D rooms.

The controls took a little bit of getting used to, but on the whole they are OK already and I like the fact there are options to use a combination of Keyboard/Mouse/Funny on screen thing.

The bit I don't like is the move the camera up and down function. Useful for looking high and low of course but I find it kills the immersion a bit suddenly to be scraping my chin along the floor instead of swaggering around in my overcoat! It's only a minor gripe though and this isn't the only game with it.

Characters are good, larger than life and pretty well acted so far. I like the dialogue system giving you the gist of what Tex is about to say rather than the exact words, I think this works well in games where the dialogue is very conversational rather than factual, which this is.

Lastly, I like the pacing between investigation, talking and puzzles in this first part, not too difficult (or easy) and the game keeps moving, which I think is important for the first part of any game.

So in summary the game gets off to a flying start for me!

Probably have to wait until the weekend to get into the warehouse but looking forward to more already!